About Us > What's EARSeL
What is EARSeL?
EARSeL is a scientific network of European remote sensing institutes,
coming from both academia and the commercial/industrial sector. EARSeL is unique
in that it represents the interests of these institutes rather than individuals,
although individual membership is possible (see membership
fees). Currently, there are about 250 member laboratories (see
EARSeL Directory of Members).
EARSeL was founded in 1977 under the auspices of the European Space
Agency, the Council of Europe and the European Commission. These agencies as well
as others, are supporting its activities (supporting
agencies). EARSeL is run by a Council
of elected national representatives from each country where there are member
laboratories and an executive Bureau,
elected by the Council.
The statutes of the Association, ratified at General Assembly on 1 June 2011, can be found here in English
and in French.
- As you probably know, on EARSeL Council meeting held in Stockholm on June 2015, it was signed the agreement that established EuJoRS as an official co-journal of EARSeL.
In this frame we would like to inform you that EARSeL is seeking editors for this journal.
If you are interested may we ask you to submit your candidacy (CV + expertise) by email to
email@example.com before November 30.
- From Stockholm Symposium we have a great news. On EARSeL Council members meeting it was signed the agreement that established
EuJoRS as an official co-journal of EARSeL.
Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, is expected to be adopted by the Heads of State of the UN Member States at the Sustainable Development Summit to be held in New York in September!
For more information please see attached letter here!
- Call for EARSeL SIG chairperson candidacies
- The deadline for the submission of applications to the EARSeL Secretariat
is October 15th, 2015
- Call for the organization of the 37th EARSeL Symposium in June 2017
- Submit your candidacy as EARSel Symposium 2017 organizer to our secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the end of October 2015.
The principal activities are:
- stimulating and promoting education and training related to remote sensing and Earth observation,
- initiating and co-ordinating application-oriented research,
- forming a bridge between technology and applications of interest to the wide user community,
- assisting the sponsoring agencies in the development of new sensors and systems and in any technical matters of relevance,
- providing a network of experts for the agencies in Europe,
- carrying out joint research projects on the use of remote sensing for research, monitoring and education,
- promoting co-operation between remote sensing experts and the environmental managers and decision-makers.
The main scientific efforts of EARSeL are concentrated in Special
Interest Groups (SIGs). These SIGs form the foundation of the activities
of EARSeL and its 'raison d'être'. They encourage co-operation and foster
innovative applications of remote sensing. The science is at its highest level,
the state-of-the-art is well established and advances are being made and are
The SIGs organise workshops and specialist meetings. Papers presented
at these meetings are published as proceedings on CD-Rom. Conclusions and specific
recommendations are presented to the sponsoring agencies and other relevant institutions.
EARSeL cooperates and organises joint meetings whenever possible with other societies, including
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS)
- European Umbrella Organisation for Geographic Information (EUROGI)
- European Association of Remote Sensing Companies (EARSC)
In June 2010 a Cooperation Agreement was signed with regional remote sensing associations in Africa, Asia, and South and Central America:
- Sociedad de Especialistas Latinoamericanos en Percepcion Remota (SELPER)
- Asian Association on Remote Sensing (AARS)
- African Association of Remote Sensing of the Environment (AARSE)
All enquiries should be addressed to:
Mrs. Heide Bierbrauer
48149 Münster (Westf.)
Fax: +49 251 13307 33
E-mail: email@example.com URL: www.earsel.org
top of the page